Sundried Tomato Scones

On Sunday, I made breakfast for the week, or half the week anyway. The sundried tomato scone recipe only made six small scones. I found the recipe using a Google search, since I knew I wanted to make some kind of savory scone, but the final product came out too salty, crumbly, and dense.

I tweaked the recipe slightly by adding pine nuts, which was a good addition. I'll try making this recipe again soon (especially since I still have some sundried tomatoes left in the jar), but next time I will use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour instead of almond flour, and use cold butter instead of olive oil to produce a better texture. I'll also omit the sea salt, since the baking soda is plenty salty.

2 cups almond meal
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup shredded Romano cheese
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes (soaked in oil), finely chopped
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large egg
2 tablespoons Romano cheese, grated
1 teaspoon dried parsley

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

In bowl, mix together almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda, sea salt, shredded Romano cheese, rosemary, and oregano. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, and egg.

Spoon onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Flatten with spoon or knife to approximately ¾-inch thickness. Sprinkle with grated Romano cheese, parsley, additional sea salt.

Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick withdraws dry.

Recipe courtesy of: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/02/rosemary-sun-dried-tomato-scones/

UPDATE: I remade  these scones on March 3rd, using the modifications mentioned above, and they were not worth it. I won't be making these again.

Comments

Popular Posts