Chili Coconut Peanuts

I made these nuts to take to a dinner party. They were extremely easy. The recipe was adapted from Renegade Kitchen. I used Sriacha in place of Sambal Oelek. Next time I will use Sambal Oelek - and less sugar - since the nuts were surprisingly sweet. next week, I'm going to try the sauce on some chicken.

1/3 cup brown sugar
¼ cup Sambal Oelek (or your favorite chili paste, like Sriacha)
Juice and Zest of one Lime
2 ½ tablespoons Corn Starch
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1.5 pounds Roasted Unsalted Peanuts
¾ cup Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut


Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, chili paste, lime juice+zest, corn starch, salt and pepper. Stir in the peanuts, making sure to incorporate all of the chili liquid (yes, get the pool at the bottom of the bowl). Add the coconut to your bowl and stir once more, giving your peanuts a festive outfit. Pour the peanuts into a roasting dish or onto a cookie tray. The important thing here is to make sure they’re in one layer. If you need to use two dishes/trays to give the peanuts enough room, do it. Nothing worse than soggy nuts. Roast the nuts for at least an hour, or until they’re golden and toasted, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove the peanuts from your oven and let them cool before serving. The coconut will crisp up as it cools.

Comments

Popular Posts